Style Cure Day 3: Picking a Room
Style Cure Day 3‘s challenge is to pick the room that you would like to work on from the beginning. I knew from the start of this challenge that I wanted to tackle our “entry way / utility / laundry space / attic access” room. This is our side door entrance, but we use it as our main door.
While I can not fix that this is the spot that the cat box goes, or the fact that our attic stairs come down here, or even that our ugly furnace / water heater are here, I can add style to make it feel like a part of our home.
The black Ikea piece used to be in our living room, but we recently replaced it with a new piece, so it got transported to this space. I am not sure it is functional here, but I may try to make it work before gifting it to another place in the house and finding something that works better in the space.
Here are my ideas so far:
- Add art, rug, design elements to make the space feel more incorporated into the home
- Add functional storage for tools & supplies. Preferably storage that can be reached even when the attic stairs are down
- Maybe move the cat box behind the attic stairs? I do not like it being in direct line of sight of the door, but it has to go somewhere, and that right wall would work better as storage. I thought about the enclosed furniture cat boxes, but with all the issues one of our cats has had, we really do not want to mess with this space too much.
- Add an accent wall with a pattern/texture/or color
- Add curtains to the window
- Paint the back of the door?
- Pretty up the furnace area? not even sure this is possible, but would be worth a shot
- Add shelving over the washer & dryer? Eventually I want to upgrade to front loaders so we could have a shelf on top, but for now I think shelving above would be nice, even if I am not able to reach it.
- Replace one of the can lights with a cool pendant light/chandelier?